Labels

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

B's Possible High School Class

     Well, we went to see the class today. B felt fine until we got there, then she melted down. I gave her an Ativan and she crawled under a table. She was wearing fairy wings. Altogether, it did not inspire confidence in me about the transition.
     The class takes about twelve kids a year for two years. All the kids are like her, sensitive and nervous. On the list of requirements for the class it said, "Able to be unsupervised during lunch and recess," and, "Takes transit independently." Both are a huge no, and it caused me a lot of concern. Sometimes they might take the kids to see a movie and then dismiss them from there. The whole idea of B trying to find her way around on transit scares me very much.
     So these are things we'd need to address if she went there. Also, I would start her very slowly and try to mitigate the issues as they arise. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but there a few/no choices. It's this kind of thing that makes me want to move her some place tiny and just let her be. Which would be better for her? I honestly don't know sometimes.
    The first step is taking her the class later this week when it's quieter and seeing if she can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment